25/03/2013

Terraplane Sun

Have you ever missed being on a road, driving in the sun with your friends by your side, not worrying about anything? If the feeling of freedom and distance to every day’s problems is what you need right now, Terraplane Sun have what you need.

This young American band comprises of five great men: Ben Rothbard (vocals, harmonica and guitar), Johnny Zambetti (lead guitar and mandolin), Cecil Campanaro (bass), Lyle Riddle (drums) and Gabe Feenberg (piano, accordion and trombone).  The young fivesome released to date two albums: Coyote in 2011 and recently Friends. The latter, 2012, album features hits like “Get me Golden” and “Ya never know”.

Described by MTV as “somewhere between slap-happy bluegrass and gritty organic rock, with a tinge of soul and country occasionally thrown in for good measure”, Terraplane Sun take their listeners to sunny California, where they are free to move between upbeat sounds and thought-provoking lyrics.
I came across the band thanks to someone very dear to me, who got me absolutely hooked on “Ya never know”. That’s how I started listening to their new album, quickly realizing that Terraplane Sun are not just another rock band, but a group who with their real sound, great energy and Ben’s unique voice, deserves to make it to the top.  I thought to myself that I would like to be able to interview them, and driven by the motto “if you don’t ask, you won’t get it”, I found them on Facebook and sent them a message, asking if I could ask them a couple of questions. The below conversation is the outcome of it. Even though very brief, I think it gives a gist of what the guys are like. Meet Terraplane Sun.

A.C: I was doing a little research and found a quite which I think quite nicely summarizes the vibe of your albums: " a sound conveying a swampy southern delta feel as much as it does the California Sound of the 1960s". How would YOU describe your music? What does music mean to you?

B.R: The above is a good description. It's hard for us to describe our sound. It's a blend of so many influences, so we just call it rock n' roll, because at the end, that's what it's really all about. Music means everything to me. It's my life's blood.

Are there any bands or artists who especially inspired you at any point in your career? What sort of music do you enjoy the most?

I've been inspired and influenced by so many artists, that it's hard to single out one or two. I think the moment I realized that I wanted to really start playing music, was the first time I heard "Over The Hills and Far Away" by Led Zeppelin. I was 12 or 13, stoned and on a mountain top. Was a pretty powerful experience.

I must say that although I've really enjoyed both of your albums, "Ya never know" is what I constantly play on repeat. What is the story behind this song?

That's a song that Johnny and I wrote in my little home studio. It kind of just poured out. It's about the 1% who actually follow through with their dreams. Most people are driven away by fear, the 1 % slip through the gates.

Who came up with the name of the band? Does it have anything to do with the 80s British band, Terraplane?

I came up with the name. It has nothing to do with the British band Terraplane, haha. It's named after an old Delta Blues song called Terraplane Sun Blues, written by the legendary Robert Johnson.

How did the five of you meet? Can you tell me about the beginnings of your journey together?

We either knew each other or knew of each other. Johnny and I met working on a commercial and started jamming together. It was really natural from the beginning, so I called up Cecil, whom I'd played with in the past and the initial core was formed. Gabe and Lyle joined shortly after, both of whom were introduced to us by mutual friends. We're very fortunate that we all came together when we did and that everyone was available to start a new project.

What do you find most challenging in the music industry? Was there anything in particular that surprised you or that you didn't anticipate?

The music industry is only a vehicle, for one to get their product out to the masses. If you make an amazing product, it will get out there. The cream always has and always will rise to the top.

How did you feel when you heard your song "Get me golden" featuring in the movie 21 Jump Street for the first time?

It's always a special feeling to hear one of your songs on TV or in a movie!

What is Terraplane Sun's dream? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

To have a lifelong career. We hope to be one of the biggest bands in the world in 5 years.

And finally, something I need to ask as your London-based fan, are you planning a UK tour anytime soon?

We should be over there very soon, promise!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S7bEiRlu2E

No comments:

Post a Comment